Saturday, September 12, 2009

My New Hobby

A lot of my Texas friends already know that I am very into my food! I love to eat, but not just any food, but good, full, rich, nutrient-dense foods. What a lot of my family and friends elsewhere may not know is that learning how to prepare these foods has become my newest hobby. It may be surprising to some who remember me as a picky eater, or remember my days of eating disorders, but I have found a way to connect with my food and feel good about the choices that I am making in my diet. Before I share one of my favorite snacks (and how to prepare it), I want to share some movie titles that are a must see and a blog everyone should visit.

First, you must watch The Future of Food and then King Corn, then visit www.foodrenegade.com. Just so you know, I was already changing our diet before watching the movies, so no, it wasn't a scare tactic that changed things.

Actually, what did change things was finding out in January that my daughter has Celiac disease. She can't have anything containing gluten and the funny thing is that before we knew what was wrong with her I kept feeding her wheat products believing that they were healthy. Well, for Celiacs it is horrible (and for many other people as well). Gluten can have an effect on many conditions, including endometriosis and Restless Legs Syndrome.


Now, back to one of my favorite snacks: Crispy Nuts
You should always properly prepare nuts before eating. By soaking nuts and seeds, you release toxic enzyme inhibitors AND increase the life and vitality contained within them! So, how to prepare them:

1.Soak almonds or walnuts in water with 1 TBS salt for 12 hours.

2. Drain and dehydrate on a baking sheet in a warm oven*
until crispy (about 12 hours).

You can do this with virtually any nut; cashews, pecans, hazelnuts, and pine nuts are all particularly good!

*To dehydrate in the oven, set oven at lowest setting and keep the door slightly ajar if over 110 degrees. You can also use a dehydrator or if it is warm enough set outside in the sun.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Raw nuts? Which kind?

Loved the blog today...hope to see the mayo lesson soon!

Jennifer said...

Thank you Heather. Really any kind of nut, raw or not is fine. I have used the walnuts that you left me and some almonds that I had on hand. Keri did pecans. They have all turned out great.